Thursday 4 January 2018

Opinion: Nigeria: The Ailing and Failing State - By Datong, Dominic Gwaman


First it came to the people of the Plateau, and I did not speak out - because I was not from Plateau; Then it came to the Southern Kaduna, and I did not speak out - because I was not from Southern Kaduna; Then it came for the Hausa Community , and I did not speak out - because I was not Hausa; Then it came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out - because I was not Muslim; Then it came to the Christians, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Christian; Then it came to me - and there was no one left to speak out for me. (Adapted from Martin Niemoller, German poet, 1892).
The above paragraph briefly describes the ailing and the failing path of the country Nigeria over the past few decades of unending violent crisis. The crisis started with clubs and sticks and it’s now getting to its climax with AK47s, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and gruesome hacking to death pregnant women and children with machetes. Our various distinctions of religion, nations and regions are becoming more obvious than ever from attacks on communities killing one, then 10 then 20, then 100. Then the killing of 10 was then “not so bad” because we are used to 100 being killed. The value of one life is gradually eroding in our memories.
Gradually, militias are being formed filtered in the lines of religion, tribes and regions and the allegiance to the Nigerian state is no longer in the thought because when we were attacked again and again, it was not there to protect us. Now countrymen have to protect themselves. They will rise against the Government in protests and will out their arms to fight the visible enemy (The Government) since he that is killing is an “unknown gunman”. Then countrymen will provide security, shelter, healthcare and food for the various divided groups. Then it shall be known that the Nigerian state ailed and failed; the government in the centre is no longer in control because it had lost its relevance.
This is the fate of NIGERIA in a few days, weeks, months or years; if Government does not begin to look at the importance and sanctity of the life of one poor unarmed man attacked in the dead of the night for being of a tribe, of a religion, of a profession or of a region.
The time for the federal government to act is long overdue; act or you will be acted upon by the masses who live under the same threats of abject poverty and continuous insecurity.
This time a dying man wont wait to use the ballot papers because he knows he might not get to that day.
I am not a prophet, but I warn.
____________
Datong, Dominic Gwaman
Conflict, Security and Development Expert
dgdatong@gmail.com

No comments: