Saturday 16 December 2017

Dr. Longji Dakum has this inspiring and powerful message to say about JUTH Hospital and Plateau State



Each time I wake up at the break of dawn, my heart breaks and bleeds beyond measure. This happens because of the protracted crisis rocking the Jos University Teaching Hospital. As a believer in a just, fair and stronger Plateau, this message is not meant to apportion blame but to seek for solutions so we can shape and promote the destiny of our dear state. The constant attacks and counter-attacks on the one hand and other by management, Labour union and the general Plateau public might add salt to the injury to say the least. Like others, I am truly disturbed and I hope my message will go a long way in mending broken relationships and healing our deep wounds so we can collectively usher a new dawn of mutual understanding, cooperation and unity in diversity. First of all, permit me to register my heartfelt appreciation to my colleagues, friends, fans and well-wishers for the wonderful and strong support I got when I contested for the state chairman of Resident Doctors Association of Nigeria. Albeit, I didn’t make it to represent my people but that gave me a far-reaching and engaging experience to approach unionism and conventional politics with dignity and a propensity to contribute in any way I can to the growth and development of Plateau state. I am willing to make sacrifices to ensure that Plateau state becomes better in the nearest future through strategic partnership with the government and the governed.  Albeit, my profession as a medical doctor gives me less time to participate in politics but I don’t believe that politics is the only medium through which we can create positive change. In any capacity, we can make a difference and this is what we are called to do. Now, the issue of JUTH is beyond abstract imagination. It is a problem that calls for a greater political will and collective efforts to have the problems resolved once and for all. The complaints, concerns and criticisms are well appreciated and I think we can maximize them to find urgent solutions. In all honesty, I think the unity that ought to have bound us together has a faulty foundation. We are divided along religious, ethnic and political lines. This in my view is a recipe for deeper problems to manifest and affect us negatively. I think we’ve got to be united and mobilize our capacities to ensure that JUTH is delivered out of the woods. It’s time for the youths, elders, political class, traditional leaders and all concerned citizens to rise to the occasion and intervene at both the state and federal level. We must bury our differences and work together as a people with a common destiny. An injury to JUTH is an injury to all of us. Truly, the condition doesn’t speak well. It has far-reaching negative effect on the image of the state and by extension Nigeria. But that does not mean that all hope is lost. Something extraordinary can be done to remedy the situation. And this has to be done by you and I. At this juncture, I must pay glowing tributes to the likes of Dr. Daniel Meshak, Dr. Dikkol, Dr. Monday and others for believing in a just and better Plateau. These are selfless leaders who have paid their dues and sowed seeds of greatness in all ramifications of Plateau life. Truly, they have a date with history. In my capacity as a Plateau Youth, medical doctor and ambassador of unity, I pledge my utmost loyalty and solidarity to popular efforts that can lift JUTH from her current challenges and place her in a position of pre-eminence. I am optimistic of a brighter future for Plateau state. Let’s keep all hopes alive and keep the unity we are known for stronger than ever before.
Long Live JUTH
Long Live Plateau state and
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Signed:
Dr. Longji Dakum
(Medical practitioner)

No comments: